All the Men of the Bible - Monday, April 7, 2014
Jehoiada [Jēhoi'a dă]—jehovah knows or knowledge of the lord.
- The father of Benaiah and one of David’s officers. Probably the priest and leader of the Aaronites who brought thirty-seven hundred men to David at Ziklag (2 Sam. 8:18; 20:23; 23:20, 22; 1 Kings 1; 2; 4:4; 1 Chron. 11:22, 24; 12:27; 18:17; 27:5).
- The high priest who made Joash king, and possibly the husband of Jehosheba, whose presence of mind saved the infant Jehoash from massacre (2 Kings 11:4-17; 12:2-9; 2 Chron. 23; 24).
- A son of Beniah, son of Jehoiada, the third of David’s counselors (1 Chron. 27:34).
- A son of Paseah, who repaired “the old gate” (Neh. 3:6). Called Joiada in the R. V.
- A priest in Jerusalem before the exile, but displaced by Zephaniah (Jer. 29:26).
Devotional content drawn from All the Men of the Bible by Herbert Lockyer. Used with permission.