Family Talk Night Light for Couples - Sunday, November 3, 2013
“God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” Romans 5:8
We’ve talked about the powerful influence others have on the way we see ourselves. Yet we should always remember that true value is granted by the One who created us in the first place. There is no greater sense of self‐worth than knowing that He is acquainted with me personally; that He values me more than the possessions of the entire world; that He understands my fears and anxieties; that He reaches out to me when no one else cares; that He can turn my liabilities into assets and my emptiness into fullness; and that He has a place prepared for me—one where earthly pain and suffering will be but a dim memory.
Indeed, the Lord of the universe places so much value on us that He gave His life to save us. What a fantastic message of hope and encouragement for those who are broken and discouraged! This is self‐worth at its richest—dependent not on the whims of birth or physical attractiveness or social judgment, but on the decree of our loving Lord.
Just between us…
- Do we base our self‐image on the Lord’s divine decree?
- What is it that really makes you feel valuable?
- Do I let you know often enough how much I value you?
- How can I better show how much I appreciate you?
- How can we remember that our worth as human beings is determined not by what we do or how we look or what we own, but by the fact that we are children of God?
Lord, we want so much to view ourselves and others from an eternal perspective. May we build our lives together on Your grand scheme, not on what is temporary and insignificant. Help us to live each day by the truth of Your divine decree. Amen.
- From Night Light For Couples, by Dr. James & Shirley Dobson
Copyright © 2000 by James Dobson, Inc. All rights reserved.
Have Family Talk Night Light for Couples delivered to your inbox!