Standing Strong Through the Storm - Tuesday, June 10, 2014
MEDITATE ON GOD’S WORD
I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. Psalm 119:11
Over and over the Scriptures direct us to meditate on God’s Word. This activity takes time and discipline but brings much spiritual benefit and reward. Meditation is focused thinking about a Bible verse or passage in order to discover how we can apply its truth to our own lives.
In applying Scripture, we need to ask three primary questions.
• What did it mean to the original hearers?
• What is the underlying timeless principle?
• Where or how should I practice that principle?
Here are six specific ways to meditate on a verse or passage:
• Picture it. Visualize the scene in your mind.
• Pronounce it. Say it aloud each time, emphasizing a different word.
• Paraphrase it. Rewrite the verse in your own words.
• Personalize it. Replace the pronouns or people with your own name.
• Pray it. Turn the verse into a prayer and say it back to God.
• Probe it. Ask the following questions:
- Is there any sin to confess? Is there any promise to claim?
- Is there any attitude to change? Is there any command to keep?
- Is there any example to follow? Is there any prayer to pray?
- Is there any error to avoid? Is there any truth to believe?
- Is there something for which to thank God?
When Laos was taken over by a communist government, the leading pastor, Rev. Sail was put into a prison camp for three years of “re-education.” He referred to it later as his university experience. During that time he led five men to Christ in the camp. He had no Bible so he discipled these new believers on scriptures he had memorized and internalized. Later those men became leaders in the church.
RESPONSE: Today I will learn to meditate on God’s Word.
PRAYER: Pray for Christians in prisons of the world where they do not have a Bible.
Standing Strong Through The Storm (SSTS), a daily devotional message by SSTS author Paul Estabrooks. © 2011 Open Doors International. Used by permission.
Have Standing Strong Through the Storm delivered to your inbox!