All the Men of the Bible - Friday, January 3, 2014
Eliashib [Ĕlī'ashĭb]—god is requiter or god hath restored.
- A priest in David’s time from whom the eleventh priestly course took its name (1 Chron. 24:12).
- A son of Elioenai, descendant of Zerubbabel, a Judahite (1 Chron. 3:24).
- The high priest at the time of the rebuilding of the city wall (Neh. 3:1, 20, 21; 13:4, 7, 28).
- A Levite and singer who put away his foreign wife (Ezra 10:24).
- A son of Zattu who married a foreign wife (Ezra 10:27).
- A son of Bani who also married a foreign wife (Ezra 10:26).
- An ancestor of Johanan who helped Ezra in the assembly of foreign wives (Ezra 10:6; Neh. 12:10, 22, 23).
Devotional content drawn from All the Men of the Bible by Herbert Lockyer. Used with permission.